Friday 3 April 2009

Aintree Day 2

2.00
This is all about American Trilogy (11/4f, sportingbet), the impressive Cheltenham winner. He should win as this looks a fairly average field. He 'should' win.

2.35
Herecomesthetruth
(9/4f, sportingbet) goes for a five-timer today and is a worthy favourite here. I thought that Massini's Maguire (5/2) ran like he's ready for the step up to 3m1f at Cheltenham (3rd behind Cooldine) but of the two Herecomesthetruth looks more solid. This looks tough for Shining Gale (13/2, sportingbet), who will win races at a lower level. Siegemaster (10/1) is a horse who I've followed over in Ireland for a bit. I backed him at Cheltenham where he fell whilst up with the pace. I expect him to come on and challenge here if he jumps well.

3.10
RIP Exotic Dancer, who died of a heartattack in his stable after a fine run yesterday.
I'm hoping that Voy Por Ustedes (13/8f, vcbet) will do what he did last year and win at Aintree after a disappointing Cheltenham. He's the best horse here. Tidal Bay (11/2, vcbet, Ladbrokes, Coral) needs to put his Cheltenham display behind him and is best watched. Of the e/w chances, Petit Robin (12/1, spbet, Bluesq) looks the most likely. Brierius (22/1) is dropped down in trip by over half a mile and I would prefer him over 3m.

3.45
28 runners and the best horse to back is the favourite.....pants. Lots of 'Grand National' rejects in here over 2m5f... Hmmm. Anyways Ping Pong Sivola (15/2f, spbet) should be in your placepot, but I wouldn't be backing him at that price. Mr Pointment (9/1) is hard to recommend and Gwanako (8/1) only wins if I don't back him ( I haven't) . I back New Little Bric @ 40/1 where he runs crap and he then hoses up at 14/1 next time. He's 14/1 here and I wouldn't back him with stolen money. Oodachee (22/1) was decent at Cheltenham and if you ignore that, he's got conditions to suit here. Looks like a great race... to watch.

4.20
Ah, A battle of the Cheltenham Novices. The race where I got Chief Dan George @ 40/1, 2 years ago as Wichita Lineman and Massini's Maguire went hammer and tongs all the way round only for CDG to plod along and take them in the run-in... Great scenes... The 3rd that day??? Imperial Commander, winner of the Paddy Power Gold Cup and Ryanair Chase this season for £210k. Anyway back to business. I'd love to tell you who's going to win but I can't, best to watch some future chase winners in action.
Mikael D'Haugenet's fine run 3 weeks ago makes Karabak (9/4f, William Hill) the favourite. He should be suited by this trip, but I didn't think he ran a great race there, he has something to prove. Pride Of Dulcote looks too big at 11/2 considering he only lost to Weapons Amnesty (11/2) by 1/2 length at Cheltenham. The better ground is in his favour and is my selection. Unchartered territory for According To Dick (9/1, blusq) and is ignored.

4.55
I've never rated Aigle D'or (13/2f) and I'm not going to start now. Piriya (25/1) was awful at Cheltenham, I'm loathed to give him another chance in a competative race like this. A race to leave methinks. Not even a token e/w selection. :-(

5.30
Mare's Bumper. Morning Supreme (7/2f) was 5th at Cheltenham (behind the very impressive Dunguib) and now races against the girls. Should win, but something always comes along and you should be in the pub by now anyway....

NAP 2.00 American Trilogy
NB 3.10 Voy Por Ustedes

No comments: